Thursday, February 11, 2010

Con Man

Elliott came down with quite the cold last night. He woke up around 10 pm and was scary wheezy and coughing oddly. We called the doctor and she listened and suspected croup, but it hasn't turned into that so far. (Thank God). He seems to just have a pretty bad cold.

But cold or not, he was a little con man last night. The doctor suggested someone sleep in the same room with him to keep an eye on his breathing. So I went into compassionate-mom-mode and prepared to hunker down with my kiddo.

Plan A:
We tried snuggling in the rocking chair for over an hour.

It went like this: wiggle, snooze, wiggle, snooze, grab the eye brows, drink milk, snooze, repeat. We were both uncomfortable and not sleeping.

I gave up and went to plan B.

Plan B:
By this time, I was really tired and Elliott was not. He was THRILLED with my company. I made a bed on the floor with blankets and pillows. Elliott was fascinated. In the near dark, I tried to sleep and convince Elliott to sleep.

It went like this:

Snuggle, play with cars, escape the room and look for dad, drink milk, snooze, climb on mom and pretend she is a horse (to which I responded: "The horse is dead."), snuggle, grab the eyebrows, snuggle, snooze, and oh yes, fall asleep! Not more than 2 minutes later: wake up because Elliott's leg hit his toy piano and started up a song (you don't want to know what my response was then).

In desperation (mine, Elliott was having a blast being ''sick", mind you, he was breathing just fine the whole time), I went to plan C around 1:45 am.

Plan C:
"Mama is all done." (and oh, I was). Into the crib, goodnight. I shut the door and left the room. He cried for oh, about 3 seconds, and then passed out. I snuck back in after a 2 am snack for the other baby (you know, the one I'm growing), and slept in his room for the rest of the night... just in case.

1 comment:

  1. "The horse is dead."

    You are very, very funny. Though I'm sure it didn't feel funny last night.

    I'm glad Elliott doesn't have croup.

    ReplyDelete